The growth and advancement of Ottawa in all branches and lines of trade has been little less than marvelous during the last decade. She has grown forward with rapid strides and built up great enterprises that have made her famous the world over as a progressive, up-to-date city. The Ottawa Vault and Construction Company, a large plant devoted exclusively to the manufacture of the Stevenson Burial Vault and concrete building material, is located at First and Main streets. They also manufacture concrete blocks, chimneys and porch columns, shingles, fancy hitching posts and they will make anything to order out of cement This plant employs fifteen skillful mechanics and has a pay roll of $300.00 a week. This firm manufactured the first air-tight, indestructible burial vault, which has met with public favor and has received universal commendation from all. This firm was incorporated in 1908 for $15,000 with J. M. McWharf, president; D. H. McCullough, vice president; Mr. C. F. Lamb, secretary and general manager and C. F. Crain, treasurer. Mr. C. F. Lamb, secretary and general manager, was born in Ottawa, Illinois, in 1867. He is a member of the M. W. A., A. O. U. W., F. A. A., K. of P., Knights and Ladies of Security, treasurer of the endowment fund of the Ottawa university and a member of the Baptist church.
Source: Ottawa Kansas Souvenir c. 1909-10
Name of Business: Ottawa Vault and Construction Co.
Date Business Began: 1908
Persons: McWharf, J. M.
Additional Assoc. Persons: McCullough D. H., Lamb, C. F., Crain, C. F.