from a series of articles detailing visits to Franklin County townships in the
Ottawa Republican, August 9th, 1877
Historic Center of the County
Centropolis and Minneola in their Prime
How Capitols Were Made Twenty Years Ago
The First Settlers of Franklin County
Stirring Scenes in Ye Olden Time
The Weary way of a County Seat.
First Marriages, Births, Deaths and Officials
The Dunkards and what they Believed in.
A Tour Among the Orchards.
Agriculture in its Perfection.
Character and Condition of a Glorious Country.
The Farmers we met, and the Farms we Saw.
On June 7th, 1854, Reuben Hackett made a claim in that portion of Franklin County which now lies near the west line of Hays township, but which was formerly within the boundary lines of Centropolis township. Here he erected the first roof which interposed between Sol’s fierce glances and Mother Earth’s blushing bosom, and here he officiated as a semi tavern keeper for a number of years as the long lines of “Kansas or bust” labeled prairie schooners filed westward. During the spring of the same year, a number of other pioneers were attracted to the beautiful prairies and rich creek bottoms of Centropolis, and many permanent settlements were made. Among these early settlers we find the name of Jacob Clark, John E. McClennan, Mansfield Carter, Perry Fuller, Franklin Barnes, Jno. F. Javens, Thos. Doty, Charles Hornung, James Bernard, Timothy Keizer and I.C. Hughes, who all made claims on Eight Mile Creek, on the same date, June 27th. That is to say, they selected their claims, and went through the semi-legal formula known in frontier parlance as “squatting.” For they could not make legal claim until 1859, when the land was purchased from the Shawnees. The first cabin erected in the vicinity of what is now Centropolis village was put up in 1854 by John Javens, who built on the west side of Eight Mile Creek. Perry Fuller built the first cabin on what is now the site of the village. William Moore was probably the first settler; he occupied the Javens cabin.
The election privileges enjoyed by the settlers were of a negative character. The first election was held at Prairie City, and about thirty Centropolis settlers went over. They found the polls in the hands of a party of Missourians (another name for border ruffians) and—they didn’t vote. They quietly returned home.
The first white child born in the township was Mrs. Sarah Crane, daughter of I.C. Hughes, who was born in March, 1855.
In the year 1854 one Joseph (sic—Joab) Bernard, a pro-slavery man, claimed the quarter section lying immediately east of the present Centropolis site, and on the east side of the creek. Here he built a cabin and opened a store. The bogus Legislature of 1855 listened to his persuasive eloquence and located the county seat at this nucleus of a proposed town. Up to this time, and in fact until 1857 the settlers had obtained their mail at Westport, but Bernard finally secured the post office, and for a time it was located at his embryo town. In the same year, however, Perry Fuller interfered with Bernard’s prospects by building a farm store on the quarter west, and speedily inaugurating a town movement. His store was occupied by a Kansas City firm, West & James. He brought the town site plans to a focus in 1856 (when he and William Moore bought out West & James) and organized the Town Company of Springfield (now Centropolis.) This Company was composed of the following gentlemen: Perry Fuller, John Javens, Franklin Barnes, George Powers, Sam. T. Shores, Wm. Moore, Wm. Pennock, J.K. Goodin, Geo. W. Smith, Benj. Westfall, Sam. MeWhinney, Ralph Mayfield, Cyrus K. Holiday, Wm. Y. Roberts and Cyrus F. Currier. [Note: Those in italics are still living. ed.–1877]
The idea was to make this new town the County Seat, and Territorial Capital, and in selecting the name a suggestion by J.K. Goodin, to the effect that as they intended to make this a central metropolis it would be fitting to call it, “Centropolis,” was accepted and the town so named.
In the spring of 1856, Jacob Long and others built a trading house, and indulged in the objectionable privilege of selling liquor to the Indians through a scuttle—the practice and not the scuttle particularly being objected to. To put a stop to this procedure, Messrs. Fuller & Moore purchased Long’s stock of liquor, and made a ready disposal of it by knocking in the heads of the barrels. It is said that the squaws manifested never so much energy as at that time, when they endeavored to gather the precious “fire water” in buckets as it flowed out over the prairie. This same year Geo. Powers, a half breed clerk for Fuller & Moore built a boarding house, and H. Javens erected a dwelling house. The succeeding year Powers put up a restaurant. Joseph Cole had already erected a blacksmith shop.
About this time the pro-slavery troubles began, and the free state men being weak in resources all good settlers were called upon to assist in the support of the resisting forces. The little settlement donated twenty sacks of flour, to this purpose, getting their supply at Kansas City.
About the next buildings to be erected were two or three blacksmith and wagon shops, and in 1857 the Town Company built a large steam saw mill. This mill was managed for several years by Judge Marcell. During this year Centropolis saw its greatest prosperity—there were in all about thirty buildings in the town.
When the Free State men got hold of the Legislature—which was in 1857,–then the town of Minneola came into existence. Nothing of any especial importance or magnitude ever occurred at Bernard, except that it was the county seat for a while, and in this year Centropolis gobbled this desideratum. Bernard, who composed his town, principally had rendered himself obnoxious by his pro-slavery predilections, and harboring of border ruffians, so that when the Free State men came into power, he was obliged to take a French leave—and his town went with him. Centropolis, although a smart little trading point, and the scene of a good many important political conventions and meetings (in which such men as Jim Lane, M.J. Parrott, W.Y. Roberts, Robt. Morrill, and Gov. Robinson figured), did not possess the proper elements for the metropolis which the leading spirits were bound to make, and another project was brought forward. The bogus Legislature aforementioned, had fixed the State Capitol at Lecompton,-but the Free State Legislature found that soil uncongenial, and though forced to meet there invariably adjourned to some other point, and in 1858-9, the adjourned session was held at Lawrence. I t was at this place, in the year last mentioned, that the town of Minneola was born. As was the case with Centropolis, Perry Fuller took the initiative in this movement. He represented that he could secure nine quarter sections for a town site, at a point one half mile east of Centropolis, at a cost of $3131. This land belonged to the following persons: Chas. L. Robbins, Wm. E Crum, Sam’l Shore, Wm. MeWhinney, Terry Critchfield, J.M. Bernard, Fred Ruch and two others whose names are lost to futurity, and these parties had agreed to throw their respective claims into the town site provided they became interested stock-holders. The net cost of land and other expenses, including attorney’s fees, houses that must be built, cost of filing the plat, conveyancing, etc. amounting to about $3,695, would give a basis of organization. He found patriots open to inducement for advancing the interests of the country, and the following persons became stockholders: R. Gilpatrick, Jas. G. Blunt, Jac. G. Reese, Gideon Seymour, John Curtis, P.R. Orr, A Barry, C. Columbia, Henry Owens, Calvin Smith, Robt. B. Mitchell, A.T. Still, Hiram Appleman, Geo. H. Keller, Sam’l Stewart, C. Grapham, Wm. Pennock, S.S. Cooper, V.E. Leonard, B.H. Weir, J.S. Emery, Robt. Morrow, G. Danford, S.B. Prentice; S.C. Russell, Terry Critchfield, Alf. Mayfield, W. Y. Roberts, Wm. McClure, E. St. John, J.G. Patrick, Dan Sibitt, John Wright, H. Miles Moore, Aug. Wattles, Oliver Barber, A.A. Jamison, C.E. Currier, J.K. Goodin, Hugh S. Walsh (Secy of State), Gaius Jenkins, John Mann, A.J. Shannon, ?.S. Nash, Jno. P. Hattersheit, R.G. Elliott, Geo. Ford, Lyman Allen, A.P. Morton, J.A. Marcell, C.L. Robbins, Wm. E. Crum, J.M. Bernard, Perry Fuller, John Goodell, C.W. Babcock, O.A. Bassett, G. W. Ditzler, S.W. Eldridge, R. Gilpatrick, Chas. Robinson, Asa Reynard, T. Sampson, S. Stewart, John Speer, A. Wattles, Chas. Jenkins, A.J. Mead, E.N. Morrill, who named the town), Ralph Mayfield, Thos. McCage, M.J. Parrott, A.G. Patrick, and W. Y. Roberts. [Note—Those in Italics were members of the Legislature]. [Note—those in red are named twice.]
The Legislature was in session at Lawrence, when the above organization was made. The town was organized, the land purchased, assessments were made on stock, buildings were erected—hotel, hall &c—at a cost amounting to between $28,000 and $30,000, and all in about six weeks time. With no intent to swindle anybody, this Legislature, desirous of getting the capitol in Central Kansas, then proceeded to make Minneola the seat of State Government. The stockholders paid all expenses from their pockets. Ex-Judge Bassett was made Secretary and Surveyor, and Perry Fuller was elected to the responsible position of business manager, both with salaries commensurate with the service rendered. The same Legislature, with a benevolent eye upon the fledgling capitol, made provision for numerous railroads, intersecting the county in all directions, and all centering upon Minneola.
But for some reason best known to themselves, the Territorial officers, who were proslavery men, refused to move the substantial portions of the State government to Minneola. However, the Legislature had had the foresight to provide for a convention of the people to meet at the newly made capitol and the delegates to such convention recognizing it as the Territorial Capitol, so met at Minneola. It happened, queerly enough, that there were a number of rival points for the honor just conferred upon Minneola, and a number of persons in various portions of the country who had an itching to be leaders, and none of these nor the representatives of the various competitive points were included in the Minneola organization. So an opposing combination was formed, principally between delegates from Shawnee county in the interest of Topeka, from Douglass county in the interest of Lawrence, and from Leavenworth county, and all north in the interest of Leavenworth, the intent and purpose being to “bust” the Minneola project. Jim Lane attended the convention as a delegate from Donivan [sic] county, although he resided at Lawrence. He led the opposing forces. This combination raised the point that, as members of the Legislature which passed the act making Minneola the capitol were stockholders in the town site, the people were being swindled for their individual benefit, and justice demanded that the little game should be blocked. A long and stormy session followed, resulting in an adjournment of the Convention to Leavenworth.
COUNTY SEAT TRANSPOSITIONS.
Minneola having a good start—boasting of thirty or forty buildings—erected county seat buildings, put up a magnificent hotel (which with furniture cost upwards of $15,000) and finally secured the county seat, and held it for three years. The first court in Franklin county was held in the building erected at Minneola (it was afterward torn down and removed to Ottawa, and the first court held there was convened in it. It is now known as the “Ottawa House.”) The hotel was eventually torn down, and the lumber thereof removed to Ottawa, a part of it now composing the depot building on Second street. The county seat was removed from Minneola by a series of manipulations which kept it on wheels for about five years, during which time it journeyed from Centropolis to Minneola, from Minneola to Peoria, from Peoria to Minneola, from Minneola to Ohio City, from Ohio City to the Supreme Court, from the Supreme Court to Minneola, from Minneola to Ohio City where it settled for a few years. Finally, the people having become tired of not knowing at night where they would have to pay taxes tomorrow, and the site of Ottawa having become open for settlement, it was fixed where it now is, by agreement of all parties, and where it will forever remain.
Judge Marcell was the first Free State Probate Judge, and resided at Minneola. He was also a member of the Legislature, and at one time County Commissioner.
Wm. Pennock was the first merchant at Minneola—
Dr. D.L. Hall was the first Justice of the Peace residing at Minneola. His first marriage—that of a prominent citizen—dated from the blackberry bushes.
P.P. Elder was admitted to the bar at Minneola, after having been elected County Attorney.
H.P. Welsh got his start at Minneola. His father was an early Justice, and the first Clerk of the Court. He was a venerable, honest and worthy old clergyman.
Dr. Allen was an old and respected physician and Justice of the Peach.
Reuben Hackett was the first Justice of the township.
Thos. Ferrill and Wm. Moore were the first preachers. The M.E. Church was built at Centropolis in 1858, and the society numbered that year about 80 members.
The first marriage in the township was that of J.P. Moore to Cath. Brundedge. Sam’l Workman was the officiating minister.
We have been shown a lithograph plat of Minneola, which gives the plan of the city, ground plan and front view of the Capitol building, maps of eastern and central Kansas, showing the Wyandotte and Minneola, the Leavenworth and Fort Gibson, and other railroads, all of which as a due matter of course, centered at Minneola. It shows all of the 25 by 120 lots, the broad avenues, huge parks, and public places of the city, and in a conspicuous place presents the fact that “Owen A. Bassett was Surveyor and Draughtsman.”
Hugh A. Cook was an early Sheriff of the county, and left his claim to move to the city. Minneola, being before respectable (having been inaugurated by the leading lights of the State) now became large and respectable.
G.W.E. Griffith, Reg. of Deeds, Co. Clerk, and Dept. Treasurer under Thos. MeWhinney (who was Treasurer, Notary Public, Attorney at Law, Land Agent and farmer) also left the quietude of a rural life and mingled with the throng and busy scenes of a city life, thus adding to Minneola’s wreath of dignity and moral influence.
Joel K. Goodin was a leading lawyer and one of the prominent men who figured in Centropolis and Minneola when those towns were in their prime. He transacted a vast amount of real estate business, was Secretary of the Town Company, a member of the famous Constitutional Convention, and held other important official positions.
THE DUNKARD SETTLEMENT
A number of years since there was a considerable emigration into this county of people of a peculiar religious belief, who settled in the northwest corner of Centropolis township. Commonly known as “Dunkards” they are more properly “German Baptists,” the “Dunkard” being an Americanized pronunciation of the German equivalent for “Dipping,” that peculiar process being on their doctrinal points. They are clannish, and somewhat exclusive, only in exceptional cases, marrying outside the church. They are unusually devout, remarkably industrious, and reasonably prosperous. Their isms are not many, but are yet peculiar—as for instance: A cardinal doctrinal point is the washing of feet, and there exists a sad split in the society because of a difference of opinion upon this point, one class claiming that “one should wash and another wipe,” while another class as fiercely demand that the washing and wiping shall be done by the same person. There are other differences equally as slight, but this illustrates the great stress they put upon fine points. The garb of this people is exceedingly plain—it consists of quiet colors, the men confining themselves to “shadbelly” coats, broad hats, and the minimum number of buttons necessary for comfort. They wear beards and no mustaches, let the hair grow at will and part it in the middle. The men also kiss when they meet. The women dress equally plain, but their fashions are not so incongruous, and they are rather attractive,–a thing we cannot say of the opposite sex.
In 1857 Austin and Beardsley established the Kansas Leader at Centropolis, Mr. Wm. Austin conducting it editorially. It was an eight column paper, very ably edited, and wielded a considerable influence in the territory. There being no available building from whence to issue the paper, the indefatigable proprietors
“Built a little cabin,
With the ground for a floor,
A deer skin for the window
And shake shingles for the door,”
the whole being 12 by 16, and covered with a shake roof. The paper was published there until buildings were erected at Minneola, when it was removed to the latter place, issued under the old management for a short time, and then sold to the town company. Austin was made Register of Deeds, and Judge Owen A. Bassett assumed editorial management, the name of the paper being changed to “Minneola Statesman.” After a few months its press and type were sold, and removed to other places. A part of the outfit was absorbed by the Patriot office at Burlington. We have been furnished with a half sheet copy, of date Sept. 11th, 1858, from which we are permitted to make a few extracts:
“No town in Kansas Territory has made more substantial improvements in the same length of time than Minneola. The first lick was struck here on the 28th of February last, and in less than four weeks the Capitol House was completed, being 40 by 75 feet, three stories high, and built at a cost of $9,000. There is now a two story business house 30 by 40 feet nearly completed. Two other business houses are already in full blast, four dwelling houses completed and four more under way, one of which, a brick, will cost $12,000. A steam saw and grist mill is in operation, and last, though not least, Minneola has a free and independent press established on a firm basis. Also a daily mail, county seat, post office &c.”
“This is a free country. Some interested persons would make the public believe that none but lawyers are capable of drawing up a deed correctly. This is all moonshine. I have recorded, within the last six month, one hundred deeds drawn by judges, lawyers, and farmers, and can get one up after any form desired. William Austin.”
“J.K. Goodin, Attorney and Counsellor, Commissioner of Deeds (for most of the Western states) and Notary Public, Office Centropolis, Kansas.”
“Capitol House. Southwest corner of Main and State Streets, Minneola, Kansas. A.R. Morton Proprietor, J.M. Luce Clerk.”
We have found that this section of our county is rich in incidents and reminiscences of early times—that it is, in fact, the keystone of the county’s first settlement, but our limited space forbids us to dwell longer.
WELL ESTABLISHED FARMS.
Uncle Reuben Hackett, the pioneer farmer of Franklin county, has a fine farm of 273 acres near the south line of the township, 70 acres of which he cultivates. In 1868 he discovered coal on his premises, and on those of his son, and at present there are three shafts sunk. The veins are valuable, and are being worked by a company of Swedes, who are stripping the vein now.
Copple is operating the old Hugh Cook place, near the east line, and he has about 24 acres of fine corn and beans. He resided here in’57, but removed to Missouri, and only returned a year or so since.
W.F. Clough is operating his sister’s farm of 80 acres. There are 50 acres improved on this farm, and a six acre orchard. Mr. C. has a nice lot of cattle and hogs.
We found Wm. Hackett following the plow, but willing to stop and chat with the REPUBLICAN. His farm comprises 116 acres, all under fence, and 45 acres of it improved. There is a good bed of coal on this place, and a considerable shaft sunk. Mr. H. raises corn principally, and has been ten years in the township.
Mr. Chas. G. Johnson is tending 60 acres this year—40 for a brother and 20 for himself. He has a good tract of 40 acres, a comfortable house and things generally well fixed for so short a sojourn as one year.
The Sam Rohrbaugh farm, on the old town site of Minneola, is a historic point because upon it once located the Capitol of Kansas. This farm comprises 200 acres, 105 of which are cultivated. A new barn is being built, seze 24 by 46, and other improvements area being made. J.W. Bendure is operating the farm.
A.J. Gaskill has 127 acres, 57 in cultivation. His orchard comprises some 4 acres. He went on the place when it was a raw prairie, six years ago, and by energy and industry has a comfortable home, and well cultivated fields. As an instance of his well directed efforts we quote that off of 3 acres and 6 rods of ground, on which he sowed 2 bushels of flax seed he realized 50 bushels and 19 pounds.
F. Barnes operates the Berry place of 75 acres, and 60 acres on the Pennock place. He has 35 acres in castor beans, which are in a forward condition, and will be ready for gathering this week. Br. B. first came to Kansas in 1854, but has not lived here continuously.
Squire J. Dunnock has one of the finest farms in the county. He has 370 acres, all improved except 80 acres, and in a high state of cultivation. He raises corn and oats principally, but has 20 acres of a splendid meadow of tame grass. He owns at the present time about 20 head of cattle, 10 horses, and about 140 hogs. Has resided there about seven years. In his orchard are 700 bearing trees, mostly apple. We observed also, 14 stands of bees. We are indebted to Squire Dunnock for many favors while at his place, and can assure him that they are duly appreciated.
J. Bell has 160 acres, 80 of which are improved. He raises corn and beans, as principal crop. He keeps about 50 head of cattle, from 4 to 6 horses, and has at present 15 hogs. He is building a new house 14 by 24 feet, with an ell 14 by 18, one and a half stories high. Has resided in the county since 1858.
I.C. Hughes Esq. we found to be an accommodating gentleman, and we have to thank him for information cheerfully given. He cultivates one half of a fine 100 acre farm, in corn exclusively. Has 6 horses, as many head of cattle, and 17 hogs. Of fruit he has 200 apple and 150 peach trees, and a small vineyard also.
In Centropolis we found a number of enterprising gentlemen. We first made the acquaintance of Dr. J.W. Powell, a young physician with a considerable practice. Dr. Powell also has a drug and variety store. He also met Mr. C.B. Stanton, who operates a wagon shop, and found him to be an affable gentleman. Mr. J.W. Jones, who is an employee in the blacksmith shop of P.J. Dryden, we found to be a very pleasant gentleman.
H.H. Bliss Esq., runs a steam saw mill in Centropolis. This mill has been built about six years, and has a 25 horse power engine. Mr. Bliss finds time, at odd spells, to cultivate 15 or 20 acres of ground.
John B. McFarland has an 80 acre farm, 60 of which are well cultivated. He raised 12 acres of wheat—the balance is in corn. He has a nice young orchard, and a good farm house. He also has considerable stock—horses, cattle and hogs.
We called at the homelike residence of Mr. Browning, who reads the REPUBLICAN of course, as he has a farm evidently intelligently tilled. He owns 240 acres northwest of Centropolis, and has 180 fenced—the balance will be in fence this month. He raises a variety of crops and has a fine lot of stock.
Mr. J.E. Gibson lives on the old Harris place. We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Gibson, and found him to be a pleasant gentleman.
We called, as a matter of course, at the “Dr. Still place,” and another matter of course took a run through the grand old orchard. This orchard was planted in 1863, and comprises 600 grafted trees, and 200 seedlings. The farm is operated by E.S. Clark, who has sold 115 bushels of ripe apples this spring at an average of 80 cents per bushel.
We had the pleasure of meeting Mr. B.J. Howard, a young man, formerly a resident of Ottawa, but now3 employed on Jacob Kaub’s farm.
We also met Mr. B.B. Johnson, son of Mrs. M. Johnson. He is interested in this year’s crops on his mother’s farm, and said crops give indication of close attention and hard work.
Mr. James Duty is operating the Brown farm, having about 50 acres in crops. The tilled field bore a fine appearance—Mr. D. is doing justice to the place.
We found Mr. S.C. Whitney busily engaged completing his handsome new house. Mr. W. has an 80 acre farm, all under fence, and 65 in cultivation. He has one of the best orchards to be found anywhere—190 bearing apple trees, 1,000 peach trees, 50 cherry trees, 20 plum trees, 200 grape vines, 300 gooseberries and a goodly quantity of currants, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.
Sam’l Wolgamot, on Spring Creek, has 240 acres of land, with about 70 in cultivation. He raises corn, generally, but had in 10 acres of oats this season. Has a good young orchard, 14 head of cattle, 4 horses and a good many hogs.
Mr. A Daniels cultivates about 50 acres out of 158, raising corn and beans principally. He produced some winter wheat this season, however. He has 2 horses, 7 head of cattle, and 14 hogs. His house is a neat frame.
E.N. Lord has the Pennock place at Minneola, and will harvest about 65 acres of fine corn this fall. He has purchased the Wilkinson farm in Cutler township, and will remove there next spring.
A.R. Goodsell has recently bought a 160 acre farm, 20 of which he has in crop. He is also cultivating a number of acres of rented ground. He has considerable stock.
John Bently is on the Webright farm at Centropolis, and cultivated 36 acres, all in corn, said corn looking mighty nice.
Amos Kaub has 60 acres, 35 of which are in cultivation—22 having breen devoted to wheat. He has 23 head of cattle, 6 horses and 10 hogs.
The REPUBLICAN ambassadors made a diplomatic charge upon the hospitable mansion of G.H. Embry one evening, and found that worthy gentleman ready to provide for their wants. Friend Embry has an excellent farm of 412 acres, all improved, well and conveniently located on the Appanoose. He cultivates 270 acres—160 in corn, and 65 in millet, the balance being open for wheat and oats. He has on hand now 1155 head of cattle, 70 of which he will turn off this fall. He also has 100 hogs, 20 horses and mules, and 65 sheep. His house is one of the finest farm houses we have seen—built of stone, size 18 by 36, with a wing 16 by 32, two stories high. His barn is of stone also.
Mr. Sam’l Parkinson cultivates 150 acres out of 182, in corn and beans principally. He has 34 head of cattle, 6 horses and 9 hogs. Has lived 21 years in this place.
W.S. Hanna has 165 acres, 75 of which he devotes to corn and beans. He has 10 head of cattle, 10 horses and 11 Berkshire hogs. September last there was neither house not well on the place, and there were but 10 acres broke—now he has a fine house, and has found time to plant two and a half miles of hedge.
T.G. Green Esq., who lives near the south west corner of the township, has a farm of about 60 acres, with 30 under cultivation to corn and beans principally. He has 7 head of cattle, 3 horses and 10 hogs.
Dr. S. Carman, who has recently purchased the “Sprinkles” farm, has 424 acres, with 125 cultivated acres. He has just harvested a 14 acre field of barley. Has 19 head of cattle, 2 horses, and a number of hogs. Intends to go into stock raising.
John Davy, Esq., whose farm is near the south-east corner of the township, has 110 acres, all cultivated—20 acres in beans, and 64 acres in corn. He owns 54 head of cattle, 11 horses and 60 hogs.
Mr. A.J. Thompson has 80 acres in a well improved farm, and this year has devoted 40 acres to corn and 8 to beans. Mr. T. is an intelligent and hard working farmer.
William Wilkinson, Esq., is one of the pains-taking farmers of the township, and the crops he has tended this season, show careful culture and a thorough understanding of the principles of agriculture.
W.S. Delano farms 290 acres, 120 of which are in a state of prime cultivation—70 to corn and 10 to beans. His residence is in Ottawa township, but the major portion of his farm is in Centropolis. He has about 44 head of cattle, 9 horses and 42 hogs.
A.J. Hanna has a farm of 218 acres, and is cultivating 80 acres of corn this year. He has just built a new house, 18 by 24, with a wing 16 by 16, all a story and half high.
Mr. James Collins cultivates 65 acres—40 in corn and 25 in beans. (Illegible) the well known Blosser farm. Mr. C. is a careful farmer.
W.J. Clover, another energetic farmer, has 30 acres of fine corn and 20 acres of beans. We found Mr. C. to be a pleasant gentleman.
We found the Sam Barnett farm in charge of his son and a Mr. Jenkins, both of which gentlemen appear to understand their business. This magnificent farm establishment consists of 520 acres, 270 in cultivation. There are 100 acres of corn, and 17 of beans. The stock consists of 40 head of cattle, 40 hogs, and 10 horses.
Nelson Shike has 74 acres—35 in corn and 20 in beans. He has 3 horses, 10 hogs, and a fine lot of bees—10 stands.